Wednesday 17 June 2009

Bedding for bees

Greetings from Beanie.

Thought you might like to know that I bought today a bale of bedding material for my hens. It's called BLISS and it's impregnated with Citronella. I intend to use it as the insulation layer for my Warre hive that I am building at the weekend. The lady in the shop said it kept her hens free from mites! I thought that might be interesting re the Varroa mite. Anyway I'll keep you posted.

It was from a Pet Store in Shepton Mallet called Pet Place. It's a huge bale and cost about £8.

1 comment:

Beanie said...

Me again. An update, it seems that although this bedding is treated with natural citronella and a bitter agent that it is from rape straw, which is very likely to have been treated with the very pesticides (imidacloprid) that is believed by many to be a problem with bees. So, ignore my post, I will limit it to my hens and not get any more. Just shows the diverse and complicated issues we need to consider to keep our bees safe. Anyway, this also proves how easy it is to add to this blog. Basically I am a bit of a technophobe so if I can do it, you can do it.

Beanie